Kildare South Fine Gael TD Martin Heydon has welcomed an allocation of €312,164 to 4 Kildare towns and villages under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme confirmed by Minister for Rural Affairs Michael Ring today.
“€100,000 has been allocated to projects in Prosperous and Kilcock with €92,164 for repairs to Kildangan Hall and €20,000 towards the Tanyard project in Ballitore.
“This funding will be warmly welcomed and very much appreciated in the areas of Kildangan, Prosperous, Ballitore and Kilcock where hard working voluntary committees can now see some of their plans for their local areas become a reality.
“The funding, allocated under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme, is a key part of the Action Plan for Rural Development and the Government’s Project Ireland 2040 Programme for Rural Regeneration.
“I know from previous allocations to areas such as Narraghmore, Ballymore Eustace and Athy the facilities and infrastructure that can be provided when this funding is allocated to small areas with ambitious committees.
“Almost €68 million has now been approved for more than 830 projects across the country under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme since it was introduced in the second half of 2016, with more than 600 of these approved since the Action Plan for Rural Development was launched in January 2017.”
Minister for Rural and Community Development Michael Ring said: “Interest in the Town and Village Renewal Scheme this year was very high and the scheme was heavily over-subscribed. It was not possible to fund all of the applications received, but I am pleased that many of the towns and villages which have been successful this year are receiving funding under the Town and Village Renewal Scheme for the first time.
“I want to thank the Local Authorities for engaging with local communities in these instances to help them to identify good projects which have merited support.
“The Government’s commitment to supporting rural Ireland is further underscored through the €1 billion Project Ireland 2040 Rural Regeneration and Development Fund which complements the Town and Village Renewal Scheme and provides an opportunity to deliver more integrated and ambitious projects which will further support the revitalisation of our rural towns and villages.”
Note to Editors:
Repair and improve access to Kildangan Village Hall.
Enhance Kilcock town gateways on four principal approach roads.
Enhance Prosperous town gateways on three principal approach roads.
Engage consultants to assess and draft a restoration plan for the second Tanyard building.
· The Town and Village Renewal scheme is an initiative under the Action Plan for Rural Development and the Government’s Project Ireland 2040 Programme for Rural Regeneration.
· It is part of a suite of national and local support measures to rejuvenate rural towns and villages throughout Ireland.
· It is funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development and is administered by the Local Authorities.
· Under the 2019 scheme, up to 80% of the total cost for each approved project will be provided by the Department, with the remaining 20% being provided either through community contribution and/or the Local Authority.
· A wide variety of projects have been approved under the 2019 scheme. These projects have been identified by local community groups and businesses, in conjunction with their Local Authorities.
· Projects approved range from public realm enhancements to re-purposing of community buildings and other measures aimed at making small towns and villages more attractive and more sustainable places in which to live and work.
· The Town and Village Renewal Scheme was launched in the second half of 2016 and since then, more than 830 projects have been approved for funding of €68 million, including those announced today.
· The Action Plan for Rural Development, which was published in January 2017, included a target to support over 600 towns and villages through the Town and Village Renewal Scheme. This target has been surpassed, with more than 660 projects now approved since January 2017.